” The best way to gain self confidence is to do, what you are afraid to do” – Swati Sharma
Born to a nuclear family and then married into a joint family 21 years ago, my life has always revolved around my folks. Initially, I was happy being married and the new and exciting life did not give me any opportunity to get bored, the result being that I never felt like taking up a career. After a few years, when I started getting fed up of my daily routine and thought of doing something constructive with my life, one of the things that held me back from pursuing the thought was fear of failure. Basically, I understood that I lacked the self confidence that I needed to overcome that fear.
This is something which I am sure most of us have dealt with at some point in life. The main question is – how to gain that much needed self confidence?
Personally, I have worked on a few ways to beat that fear and that in turn has helped me to achieve that confidence. Below, I am sharing a few tips which have helped me in pursuing my passion and hopefully these tips will help the readers too –
- Think Positive – The first and foremost thing that I firmly believe in is Positivity. A few years ago, I decided to start replacing my negative thoughts by positive ones. When I started writing, the laziness from years of doing nothing at all used to pull me back, every now and then. I used to tell myself that would writing stories really help me or is it just a waste of time. I knew that these thoughts were polluting my mind and I decided to throw them away from within me and replaced all those thoughts with pure, fresh and positive ones.
- Be Prepared – Like a student goes for an exam well prepared, similarly if we are prepared for any task at hand, we will naturally have the required self confidence. And that confidence will take us miles ahead in our career. A thorough research of whatever you wish to take up, is extremely necessary for you to go through the task with confidence.
- Increase Competence – How does one feel more competent? By becoming more competent. And this, you achieve by practice. Like I aspire to become a good writer, I started by writing small blogs, short stories etc and then slowly increased my work. I am sure I would not have been able to bring my career so far if I would have decided to take up professional writing in the very beginning.
- Set Goals – People often make a mistake of shooting for the moon, and then if they fail, they get discouraged. Instead, one should set up an achievable target and then if that is achieved, a higher goal can be set. The achievement of smaller goals will help you in preparing yourself for the higher ones.
- Be Happy – Always remember to feel happy and keep smiling in all situations. A smiling face shows your self confidence to other people. They understand that you know what you are doing and are surely good at it, which in turn is keeping you happy. So remember to smile always and spread the happiness and cheer around.
I have always abided by these rules and have benefitted from them tremendously. These tips have really helped me in becoming the person that I am today i.e. confident and happy.
About the Author:
Anuradha Kapoor – a freelance author, blogger, content writer, script writer, editor and proof reader. I am one of the top bloggers on mycity4kids and have written blogs for various brands for them. For eg. Dabur Chywanprash, Surf Excel, Mirinda, Quaker Oats, HP Printers etc. I recently published my first ebook on Amazon, titled ‘Love Conquers All’. I have written short stories and episode stories for the ‘Potboiler App’. Hope to keep you all entertained through my stories and blogs.
(The author is a guest blogger at Her Second Innings. The opinions expressed are those of the author.)
Her Second Innings, helps capable women professionals to find their calling in their second innings. Women looking to get back to their careers, or needing advice to pursue alternate career to become financially independent Sign up with us and complete your profile. Feel free to connect with us at email@example.com after completing your registration formalities, and our career experts would be happy to have a conversation with you. Registered users are also eligible for our free online Soft Skills Training program.
“This blog claims no credit for any images or content posted on this site unless otherwise noted. Images and content on this blog belong to their respective owners. If there is an image or content on this blog that belongs to you and you do not wish for it to appear on this site, please e-mail us with a link to said image or content and it will be promptly removed.”